Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bella Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore

I arrived in Riomaggiore and had checked into my hotel, Lucando Ca' Druxi by 9:30 in the morning so I had the better part of 2 days to explore. The first day I just hung out in Riomaggiore, which is the nicest of the 5 villages, IMO.

The room was small but nice with a windows looking out to a terrace below, allowing me to spy on the old man looking after his plants.

The hillsides are intensively cultivated, not just with grape vines and olive trees (although that is the main crop) but also with produce of all sorts. There three green grocers on the main street of Riomaggiore.

The lemons grown in Riomaggiore are very large.
This was the first opportunity i have had to wear my bikini on the entire trip. It was so nice to hang out at the "beach" and enjoy the beautiful Mediterranean Sea.

Sunset from Riomaggiore looking toward the other 4 Villages.

I met Theo who was financing his travels by busking with a Shaku Hachioji (a Japanese flute of sorts).

It was my luck to be in town when they had a street party. The band played Donna Summer's style disco music. A blast from the past!

The locals all turned out I the Piazza with their lawn chairs. The little girls first sat all in a line at the edge of the "stage", then once everyone started dancing they gave it their all.

My first day in Cinque Terre was fabulous! Tomorrow I will hike from Riomaggiore on the hiking trails through the other 4 Villages.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment