When we set off yesterday from the embalse (reservoir), it was cloudy and cool and threatening rain all morning as we walked through the countryside to the next village, Canaveral, some 11 kms distant.
It was a tiring walk as it was quite hilly and rocky and there were mud and puddles to trudge through once again as it had rained heavily through the night. The terrain was now decidedly alpine and if not for the several km of mucky roadworks it might have been an entirely pleasant section.
We were able to lunch in Canaveral, where we paid 6.20 for a coffee and a piece of tortilla patatero and some cheese. Mostly when you order tortilla you get an omelette, but this version is mostly potato and is made like a cake and served in slices. Compared to what we had paid elsewhere for such meals this was expensive.
Fortunately, Barb had not broken anything and just has bruises and a nasty black eye.
We now have a dilemma. The next few sections are long 30+ km and there are few Albergues. I might add that the locals tell us that the Camino is hosting many more Peregrinos than unusual, so accommodation is scarce. The other concern we have is the forecast for cold temps and rain for the next 2 weeks! We are considering options of busing forward a bit to a section with shorter legs and more albergues. The complication is that there are few buses and a national holiday on Tuesday, so we may end up stuck in a small village and no way out of town if we linger.
We settled into what I would think of as a motor hotel and took a siesta while we waited for 9:00 pm when the dining room opened for dinner.
Stay tuned amigos!